Sunday, February 24, 2013

Week 11/16

Week 11/16:

CF at least 1-3x this week - you may begin to drop your CF volume by one or two sessions (from three) if recovery isn't there

Interval 1:8x400m with 400m walking rest between efforts, each interval should be at a fast pace you can hold for all eight runs

Interval 2: 6x800m TT with 5 min rest in between – should be thoroughly warmed up before beginning, each 800m should be all out, that is what the time trial (TT) should always be!

Half Stamina: 9 miles at a conversational pace - quiet, quick feet

Full Stamina: Run by feel* - 9-15 miles at a conversational pace - quiet, quick feet

*This can be tricky.  If at mile marker 9 you are still feeling good and have a smile on your face, proceed.  Keep adding a mile if you feel good.  Cap it at 15.  I have this in the programming because after speaking with a couple of you I did not want to offer a full back off until week 14. Just know that next week our long run goes to 17.  Most of the fulls have been feeling good both physically and mentally.  Please report times (w/ split preferably) on the long runs this weekend!

3 comments:

  1. I substituted both intervals for runs. 5.25 on Tues. and 5.3 today. Felt like I've lost my stride so I wanted to just go for a few runs to get it back. Still battling sore soleus muscles after each run. Guess I over did it on the max effort sprints early on in training and haven't fully healed. Hard to take time off when you know raceday is closing in. I took a full week off but unfortunately it wasn't enough. As soon as I take off on a run they flare up. I can find a "sweetspot" and get through a run, but my times have been much slower than normal.

    Grant, do you think I should try to skip running during the week and go for the distance runs on the weekend? Or the opposite? Try to run 2-3 miles everyday? I'm not sure what to do at this point other than rest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just seeing this!

      I would suggest seeing Maria ASAP, but she is in Germany. If you have a massage therapist that you typically patronize, go see him or her. You may need some deep tissue work down there.

      At this point I would hesitate skipping a week. You might try to do some long, slow distance stuff again. Really slow your pace down and go grab an 8 miler on Interval day 1 and a 5 miler on day 2. Think of it is a restoration run.

      Make sure you warm up REALLY well before beginning. Stretch out the calves after your warm-up and before your run. Do some light stretching throughout the runs. Finish your session with a walking cool down and more stretching. Buy some epsom salt at Walgreens or Kroger and take a 20 minute bath both evenings.

      If that doesn't fix the problem, we have one more option with some severe temperature contrast work, but I am confident that will really help.

      Delete
  2. Felt pretty good out there today....Not sure if it was because the WODs this week were a bit lighter or the fact I changed my route up. For about the first 5 miles I felt near perfect... got a bit sore towards the end, which coincided with the introduction of some new hills :)

    9 miles - 1:22

    ReplyDelete